40,000 years to present The Wiradyuri people of the goanna totem have lived in these lands, encompassing the three rivers, for more than 40,000 years. Bathurst sits within the Wiradyuri Nation. The Wiradyuri people of the three rivers, the
Wambool (Macquarie), the Calare/Kalari (Lachlan) and the Murrumbidgee are the traditional custodians of the land. We acknowledge the living culture of the Wiradyuri people and their unique role in the life of the region.

1815 Proclamation of Bathurst

Proclamation of Bathurst by Governor Macquarie on 7 May. A flag staff was raised by Macquarie’s men in a site named ‘... for the Town of Bathurst’. This spot by the river acted as a survey mark for early explorers, enabling the first maps of inland Australia to be charted. Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW: 1803 - 1842) Saturday 10 June 1815, page 1.

 Proclomaton 300

The Plains, Lewin J. W. c1816 (State Library NSW)

 

1830 Execution of the Ribbon Gang

On 2 November, ten convict men were executed near the intersection of today’s consequently named Ribbon Gang Lane and William Street. The site of the public gallows is not confirmed. It may have been on the rise overlooking the road connecting the Government and Convict Settlement areas. The road would have provided access for carts and a procession route from the Gaol, while the presence of the gallows may have acted as a warning for others contemplating rebellion - Dr Robin McLachlan, CSU Historian and Author.

 Words 400

Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser
Thurs 21 October 1830, page 1

 1832

Bathurst Town Square A designated “Square” was plotted on official plans for the first time, indicating intentions for a public space in the centre of Bathurst.

 Map 300

1833 Town Plan, Thomas Mitchell
(State Records NSW)

1861 The School of Arts and Telegraph Office

The Bathurst School of Arts opened on the corner of William and Howick Streets. The Telegraph Office opened in Howick Street, in what is now the site of the Headmaster’s Residence.

 building 300

School of Arts and Telegraph Office 1860s
(Bathurst District Historical Society)

 1877 Closure of the Telegraph Office

Closure and demolition of the Howick St Telegraph Office made way for the construction of the new Public School and Headmaster’s Residence.

 School 300

Cnr William and Howick Streets,c1891
Bathurst and District Historical

 1878 The Public School was opened

The Bathurst Public School building, designed by the architect to the Council of Education, George Allen Mansfield, was built in 1876-77. In 1878, Bathurst’s Howick Street Public School was completed and classes commenced.

 square drawing 300

1891 Collingridge sketch,
Town Square section (Neale)

1880 Superior Public School

Bathurst Public School is rated as a Superior Public School.

 howick 300

Bathurst Views, c1900
(W J Norwood)

1898 Technical College and Museum opened

The William St Technical College and Technological Museum building was opened on 29 June 1898.

carraige 300

Technical College display, Bathurst Jubilee 1912,
(Gregory Collection Bathurst Library)

1905 The District School

Bathurst Public School was rated as a District School. 

sepia 300

Empire Day, 1906 (Barker Pictorial History p88)

Staff and students relocated from the Howick Street Public School on 2 July to the new premises on George and Lambert Streets.

schoolarticle 400

National Advocate (Bathurst)
Saturday 13 July 1935 p.3

1940 The Bathurst Public School relocated and the building is used as a Soldier’s canteen.

On 30 August, 1940, the former Public School buildings were re-opened as recreational rooms and a relief canteen for Soldiers training at the Limekilns Rd Army Camp.

soliders 300

22nd Brigade march, William Street
10 Nov 1940(Bathurst Regional Council)

1948 The Telephone Exchange

Bathurst’s first Telephone Exchange building was constructed on the current Post Office site in Howick Street.

 phone 300

Bathurst Telephone Exchange
Howick Street c1950s
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

1955 TAFE acquired the Public School building

Bathurst Technical College acquired the former Public School and WWII canteen buildings for educational use.

 tafe 300

Technical College c1955
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

1961 TAFE Automotive Workshop

An automotive workshop was erected in the Technical College precinct, the site’s final addition.

 tafenew 300

TAFE Automotive Workshop
(Bathurst Regional Council)

1965 Bathurst Telephone Exchange

A Foundation Stone for the Bathurst Telephone Exchange, now known as the Telstra building, was laid on 27 March 1965 by Prime Minister Robert Menzies.

 phone 300

New Bathurst Telephone Exchange
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

1968 School of Arts demolished

The School of Arts building on the corner of Howick and William Streets was demolished.

 arts 300

School of Arts Corner William and Howick Streets
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

1972 City Theatre demolished

The City Theatre, formerly the School of Arts Hall on Howick Street, was demolished on 23 September, 1972.

demolish 300

Demolition of the City Theatre
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

1976 The Post Office Building opened

Today’s Howick Street Post Office building is opened on 2 December. TAFE staff and students began to relocate to a new site on Panorama Avenue. Some courses continued on the old site.

post 300

Post Office building works 1975
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

1982 The Branch Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences closed

The Bathurst branch of the Museum of Applied Arts and Sciences in the TAFE building was closed. The collection was dispersed over the next two years.

techmus 300

TAFE Building William Street c1980s
(Courtesy of Dave Free)

2004 The Home of the Somerville Collection

The Australian Fossil and Mineral Museum - Home of the Somerville Collection was officially opened by Premier Bob Carr on 22 July and opened to the public on 26 July, 2004.

 
Back to: The Building